Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Quantum Learning- Music in the Classroom Recap

Let's not talk about the fact that I haven't updated my blog in almost a year. Starting a master's and teaching is rough. Moving on.

Last week I attended a training for Quantum Learning that was offered through my district in Houston, Texas. I had heard all sorts of crazy good things about the program and how my teaching style would fit seamlessly into this brain-based learning.


Basically, Quantum Learning is using activities to get the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to teaching time. We all know that Brain Breaks and chunking information are great for kiddos, but Quantum Learning really dives deep into the "WHY?"


(Exerpt from QuantumLearning.com)



 The Quantum Learning system is a powerful research-based educational methodology that increases teacher effectiveness and improves student performance through the orchestration of four core components:

Foundation
Atmosphere 
Design & Delivery 
Environment

I didn't write this post to sell you on Quantum Learning, but I HIGHLY suggest it! In my district is 5 days long, but I was only able to go to Days 1-3. I'll pick up Days 4 and 5 during the school year. I just couldn't handle going to PD 5 days in a row during the summer. It made me feel like the beginning of the school year was approaching WAY too fast!

What I really want to talk about is MUSIC! In Quantum Learning, Music ties all of the components together. According to QL,music can be used for two main reasons; change of state and orchestrate learning.

You can change state by having an anchor song that signals something, playing songs that soothe (after recess, anyone?!?), or to energize. Music can orchestrate learning by playing songs that are scientifically proven to trick our brains into focusing. Look up Dr. Gregori Lozanov and his research from 1960s with Baroque music and accelerated brain recovery. It is pretty spectacular.

Even though I teach in an open-concept classroom, I already play A LOT of music in my classroom, but after this PD I plan to be more purposeful with the music that I play. Stay tuned for more on how I will create playlists and such!

Are any of you Quantum teachers? Give me tips and tricks!



These are on my professional reading list!

 Music With the Brain in Mind Quantum Teaching

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!