Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Quizlet: Not Just for Flashcards and 20% Off!



If you are not familiar with the Quizlet app (available for iPad/iPhone and Android), you need to explore this amazing-ness! I've used it for regular vocabulary work with pictures and definitions during science, but little did I know how life-changing it would be for student accommodations!
First, log in or sign up at Quizlet.com. I paid for the teacher account for $25, so I apologize if the free sign up doesn't look or act exactly like mine. If you want to see the few things I have created on Quizlet, my username is aggieteacher12.


After you have logged in, select "Create a Set" in the top bar.


Name your set something recognizable, but also slightly unique as your students will be searching for the correct one and you want to make it easy to find. Also, I set the privacy to everyone since I wanted students to be able to access this from any device available in my classroom with my generic student login. I teach 3rd graders, so I'm not afraid my students would preview the test before they got to my class.


 Quizlet won't let you save until you select a language for the answers and the questions. My "question" was the question number and my "answer" was the word problem typed out. Both the question and the answer box will be read aloud. Once you type all of your questions, click save.


You're pretty much done! You can choose to have the computer read the question or you can record yourself reading the question. I chose to have the computer read the question because this was a last minute idea and I was quickly creating it on my iPad. The computer was able to read all the numbers in the word problems correctly and had a somewhat normal sounding voice. Not too jerky. If you want to preview the computer audio, just click the speaker icon next to each question. I highlighted it in yellow in the following picture.


 If you want to record the audio for the questions, click the microphone which is highlighted in red in the following picture. In my magnetism vocabulary Quizlet, I recorded the audio using my laptop without an additional microphone or headphones.



 The students can access the Quizlet from laptops, computers, and any tablet or digital device. I had one student use my personal iPad and the other use my old iPhone I had cleared for use in the classroom. Both worked great! The students would keep the device on their desk or in the cubby space under their desk while they worked. I showed them how to select the speaker icon to have the question read to them and how to scroll to the next question. They loved it!



Reasons why I love Quizlet for Oral Administration Accommodations:

  1. I don't have to read the test aloud and have other students listening when they won't be receiving that accommodation during standardized testing.
  2. I don't have to make each child receiving OA wait until everyone is finished with the current question before I read the next question.
  3. I don't have to read the test multiple times, but each child can go as slow or as fast as they need to for their learning style. 
  4. The students also have the power to come back to a question or repeat the question without interrupting the other students.
  5. I have used iPods to record tests before, but I have never used a program that would only read one question at a time, which is why I love this! The program stops reading after each question and won't start reading until you select the next question's speaker icon. No more teaching how to pause, rewind, or fast forward! I also noticed that the students who received OA with Quizlet didn't seem as rushed since Quizlet stopped after each question. 
  6. I was hit with this moment of genius during my lunch period (you know, that brief break between classes where you scarf down your lunch, grade papers, and answer parent emails?), but I was able to quickly pull this Quizlet together in time for my math class with all my OA babies to receive the accommodation on the digital devices. Easy peasy! 
If you decide you want to sign up for the full-access, no ads, limitless students and classes, Quizlet Teacher account, follow THIS LINK to get 20% off! 

(Full disclosure: If you use my link, Quizlet extends my subscription for sharing. It's a win-win!)

How do you use Quizlet in your classroom?


1 comment:

  1. I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! Visit my blog to see what to do next:)
    Kayla in the Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!