Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chevron Noise/Voice/Volume Level Posters

Last year was my first year in an open concept classroom.

Think: No doors and the only thing separating you from the next classroom is a divider or cabinets that you can see over if you stand on your tippy-toes. 

It was a challenge for sure! I know that it took my awhile to adapt my teaching style (AKA: project voice to the back of the room....that was 100 ft away!) I struggled with not only monitoring my own voice, but also the voices of my students when we were involved in various activities (ex. a rousing reviewing Jeopardy game, or a wild and animated multiplication game of Around the World)

Enter these posters: 


My goal is that these poster will remind my little friends of the appropriate volume level that we should be talking. Silence is obviously for independent work or testing environment, spy talk is for friend-to-friend, low flow- small group, etc. All the posters are color coded by "feeling" color (meaning: the cooler the color, the quieter our voices; the warmer the color, the louder our voices) and in what setting.

When I get my classroom set-up and decorated, I'll be sure to post more pictures of how I'll use it in the classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!